Tuesday, June 22, 2010

June 3rd - 14th, 2010

Spent a night and day indoors recuperating from the heat and end of North America leg. Rented a car to go north, but spent a day here in El Paso, intrigued by the border and all that follows having one of the most dangerous cities in the world side by side with one safest. Here is an odd vibe - the ever present boarder patrols and shared web of lights at night makes it impossible to tell where El Paso ends and Cuidad Juárez begins.
I left early the following morning - heading north from where I'd been riding just a few days before. Now in the comfort of A/C and plenty of water the landscape looked so different.
The following week is spent in New Mexico, with a brief pass though south east Utah and detouring the four corners that were closed for repair.
I've seen the milky way brighter then ever from Valley of the Gods, rattlesnakes in the brush, scorpions, ancient ruins, and dirt roads that seem to have no end. The highlight of the tour came as I was heading back to El Paso passing an area of lava fields and undeveloped caves. I spent the greater part of a day under ground trying to capture the magic of the underworld. No light or heat penetrates allowing ice to develop despite the summer heat above.

I returned to El Paso on the 14th, dropped the car and caught a Greyhound to Houston where I will process and scan my film before my friend Peter arrives from Denmark.





No comments:

Post a Comment