Saturday, July 24, 2010

July 23rd 2010

Crossing the border into Guatemala is a breeze. The bus stops on the mexican side, here everyone must exit and register to get stamped "out" by the authorities. A crowd of merchants sell candy toys and wads of Quetzales - the currency of Guatemala. My passport is stamped out, I exchange my pesos and walk across the bridge into central america. A small offfice on the right accepts 10 Q's and again my passport is stamped "in" - 90 days valid throughout the region except Costa Rica. Back on the Tica bus I look out the window. I actually don't have a window, but a solid wall to my left, but by leaning forward I can sneak a peak from the person sitting in front. Most are asleep. I lisiten to "This American Life" todays episode entitled "Island time" At the Guatemala bus station I hop on a minibus which takes me to Antigua. I ask the driver about the sinkhole I read about reciently - a quiet American man in his 50's sits in the back. I'll spend one night here before heading to Tikal - next station.



No comments:

Post a Comment