Thursday, December 23, 2010

December 14th - 2010





After a very hectic day yesterday I finally managed to make the last arrangements and payment for my departure. A bit sketchy, yes, but I'm here!! I don't know what I would have done had I know it would be this nerve wrecking - surely grey hairs are seeping though my scalp as I type these words.
To make a long story short, you are not allowed to visit, by international law, any part of Antarctica without authorisation from a scientific organisation or military - this has been the bottomline making my trip here so difficult to arrange. I was fortunate to get in touch with a person down here a few days before my planed departure. INACH the Chilean Antarctic organisation who previously promised to vouch for me, pulled the plug at the last moment. It left me stranded with my only choice to ask my contact if he could help me out - despite taking a great risk by sticking his head out without knowing me, he managed to arrange a place for me to sleep and a cover that I could use. As he has contact with the Russian base and the air force down here he arranged for me to spend the first five day at the air force base and the remaining time with the Russian priest. This all sounds very confusing and strange, and believe me it is... My cover of the day is that I'm danish but speak no english - I can also pretend to be Russian if I wish...
I'm gonna put my things in my barrack and go for a hike to avoid having to run into anyone. The sun seems only to touch the horizon before begining its climb back up. Night time is beautiful, cold and calm. I will go to the beach and outlook to the Drake Passage.
Here. Finally here!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment