Thursday, December 23, 2010

December 21st - 2010




Victor, the Russian chief meets me with a stone face and firm handshake. I'm told to sit down! Yes. A translator is brought in. I'm asked the questions I expect and explain. There is a mutual understanding, Victor is upset that I've not been introduced to him, not so much with me as with Father Safroni. Back and forth, the meeting ends with economy - that Victor want me to pay for staying. Of course. The ice has melted and Victor gives a large smile and equally as firm handshake, before saying that, "that is all"
Safroni is very upset afterwards, saying that this is not Russian hospitality and not the way he would ever have done. However I have to agree with the chief as this is a base and what I could have expected. The only problem being that Victors suggested price pr night will only make it possible for me to stay one more night.
Back at the house Palladyi is even more upset then Safroni, apologizing for this treatment. He brings me chicken from the kitchen and offers to borrow me money should it be necessary.
A Brazilian air force supply plane lands in the afternoon. I run to the airport to ask if there I place for me, but am told that they are full - perhaps tomorrow.
I go for a very long hike - further then I've been so far. Sun breaks the clouds as I'm making my way back.

No comments:

Post a Comment