Friday, December 31, 2010

December 31st - 2010

Here is the last group mail that I have sent out - seems that it hasn't reached all who it was meant to.
Happy New Year!!


Punta Arenas, December 23rd.

End of the trail.

After 17 months continues travel in southern direction I've reached the furthest I can go. Antarctica.

I made it here after a troublesome week and many strange stories – that only seem to have gotten stranger since my arrival. As no non military or non scientists are allowed here I have been staying at an air force base

in their "hostel", aka a bunk bed in a steel container, paying $87 pr night. Had to pretend I was on official work, however vague that might have been. I finally managed to make a connection to the local Russian base and am now living with a Russian orthodox priest and a monk. No

kidding! The monk is great and we are friends. Same for the priest, but all our communication is in a very broken Spanish covered in equally as confusing Russian and Danish accents.

It was very expensive getting here and I considered selling my kidney to the Russians. But I reached my goal and the past week has brought much good work. The scenery is like a dream. Penguins get top rating for performance. I’m sure there’s a little human stuck inside their small birdlike bodies.

I will save further details for another time. I could have wished or dreamt of no better way for this journey to conclude. Antarctica has been the inspiration for the overall trip and motor behind the planning which began three years ago. It had lost none of its magic since my first visit in 07 and leaves me, craving once again to return.

I got back to Punta Arenas a yesterday and will spend Christmas by a campfire in a park not to far from here. My bag is packed with a dehydrated reindeer meal that I’ve been saving for an emergency or special occasion.

With an expected return to Denmark in February, post production will begin, hopefully revealing work which resembles the experience of the last year and a half.

As mentioned many times before, I am forever grateful for all the support I've received from everyone. I can not express my appreciation through words, but hope our paths may cross soon again - you are all close to my heart.

I wish you merry holidays and all the best in the coming year!

Sincerely, Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment