Thursday, December 23, 2010

December 16th - 2010




I spent the greater part of the day waiting for the weather to change. Its been overcast and grey. The forecast has mentioned that it will begin snowing tonight. I will wait around for this.
After a few hours just sitting here and waiting I finally got enough - also I don't want to risk anyone coming by and asking questions about which organization I'm from or what my purpose of being here is - so I left for a hike to the south side of the island. This is one of the most polluted places in all Antarctica with four large rusting oil tanks, deteourating with every passing winter. Three penguins down by the beach seemed quite tense. I returned "home" to cook dinner.
It began snow at 10pm. The landscape transforming into that of a dream. It would be impossible to express how this place effects you - but you will never be quite the same once you have set foot on this strange land. Its a feeling which runs very deep and very still. Despite the pollution and sad looking research bases this place swings to a different beat then any place I've ever set foot. It is what originally inspired me to do this trip all together - visiting it 4 years ago - and it relieves me to experience that the feeling is still there, still as strong.
I have difficulty sleeping once I return to the barrack - thoughts speeding away - wishes that this wont be my last visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment