Thursday, December 23, 2010

December 22nd - 2010

I've been told that a plane will land around noon today - this may be my ticket back to the mainland if I'm lucky. But they arrive early and I'm still in bed when I hear the deep hum above. S***!! I thrown on my jack, plastic bags in my soaked boots and speed out the house. At the airport I meet the captain of the aircraft and am told that I need to speak with another person who decides on who get on. I'm told that there is room and as I've already have a paid return off the island it should no be a problem - that is if I can be ready in 15 min!
It takes 15 min just to get to the Russian base from the airport not to mention I still havent packed or said goodbye to Safroni and Palledyi. I can make it.
Fortunately a Russian car is picking supplies up at the plane and offers to drive me. Its the translator from yesterday. He too apologizes for the treatment that I have to pay, assuring me that this is not Russian hospitality - but Victor is the boss.
Back at the house I throw my things into my two packs. We drive to find Safroni and Palledyi so I can say goodbye. The are working, painting the underside of a lab dressed in workmans clothes. I usually only see the Father in his long black cloak. I apologize for this sudden departure, bowing and doing everything possible to express my appreciation for their kindness in the 90 sec I have before the translator yells that we have to go if I am to make the flight.
So this is how my trip will end?! Bowing to a russian orthodox priest dressed in workmans clothes. The beauty of the our random world...
Back at the plane I'm welcomed with the words - "velkommen ombord" - in danish! What the!! Turns out the pilot is from the Faroe Islans and speaks fluent Danish!!! The flight is empty. Completely empty. Returning to the mainland and the end of my journey. Very confused....

1 comment: