Thursday, December 23, 2010

December 19th - 2010


Moving day. My bags are packed and I've paid the bill. At 4 I will go to the Russian base.
Safroni bid me welcome as the other day. I've been shown my room which I will be sharing with one other person staying in the house. I'm sorry for intruding, but have only been met with smiles and told to feel at home. So I did.
I sat in the kitchen biting some bread when Palladyi arrived. He too works as a carpenter, but is also a monk from a famous monastery outside of Moscow. His English is very good and we've sat chatting for hours. He's been cooking some foreign looking buckwheat and making the greatest tea in ages.
At around midnight we go for a walk together. Its snowing with winds from the northwest. A great night for pictures - if all has gone well with the film and exposure then these may be the ones which make the trip.
Russia, monks and Antarctica.
My cot is very comfortable and I have a great sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment