Thursday, December 23, 2010

December 15th - 2010





It was 2:30 am before I returned last night. I'm the only staying at the barrack - this gives keeps me calm and my nerves at rest. The sun was shining through my window when I woke, despite it still being quite early. I had to go to the "office" of my friend to pick up snow shoes before his colleagues turned up. By 9 am I was heading back out over the snow and lifeless rocks. I fear that I could be send back to the Punta Arenas any moment and therefore try to make the most out of the time I have here.

The hike today led to the northern side of Collins Glacier, which spills into the ocean. The beaches up here are covered with spread out seals and sea cows and penguins. I fell that I've got some good work done. The only problem being that both of my boots have begun leaking and seem to be falling apart - a problem which will keep me from accessing parts that will take days to hike to. This problem comes at the worst possible time.

My friend got in touch and told me that we had a meeting at 7pm with the priest. I've picked up a few items for him in Punta Arenas. Apart from being a priest he also works as a carpenter, and had run out of some parts. Safroni met us at the door with a long orthodox beard and a larger smile. He lives in a red box barrack which dosent look like much from the outside - but once you step through the door you enter Russia. A warm inviting house with guest shoes, full wooden walls and peace. At the heart of the house is the kitchen. Here there is a bench around a large table, where russian bread and goods are spread out. We drink tea.

Safroni thanked me for the things I have brought. We speak in broken Spanish, at times translated by my friend who speaks fluent English, Spanish and Russian. I am invited to stay at the house. I will move here in a few days.

We have dinner at the base, 40 Russians, 4 Germans and allot of borsch.

Could I've dreamt this up?¿

No comments:

Post a Comment