Sunday, August 22, 2010

August 12th - 2010

Sleep last night was poor and disturbed from allergies. I've been sneezing and itching my eyes. At one point during the night I woke from the sound of thunder - when looking outside the skies were clear - I though nothing of it and soon drifted off again.
The following morning when walking to Erics school, where we'd arranged to meet, I noticed the large police and military presence. Streets were closed and I could see shattered glass, block after block.
The sound which had woken me was from a carbomb having exploded outside a national newspaper and radiostation in the early morning. No one had been hurt, but the structural damage had been major. No one had claimed the attack by the end of the day and rumours began to spread that the government was infact behind - trying to gather support for their fight against the guerrillas to the north. People seem to react very calmly.

Arriving at the school, I was given a full tour and treated to lunch.
I borrowed Erics bike and went to the busstation to find out when the bus for Lima leaves. Only two busses weekly - Tuesday and Sunday. I book the sunday bus.
At night we drove to the mountains, to an overlook, with Norma a friend of Eric. Bogota has no end - and keeps surprising.
I'll spend yet another day here.




No comments:

Post a Comment