Sunday, August 22, 2010

August 14th - 2010

We ran out of gas last night when I was cooking soup - fortunately the gasmen were on call and arrived at ten this morning. Soup was cooked, pleanty of ginger and garlic - hopefully working for Eric who seems worse today.
I take a cab to the busstation to pickup my ticket for tomorrow.
Continue to the cabelcar which takes me up Monserrate, one of the most popular attractions in Bogota - a church which provides amazing views of the city below.
With the popularity there are many people around and I take a walk away from the crowd to find a quiet spot to view the sunset.
A man soon approaches me - friendly at first - with my broken spanish I think he is telling me that I shouldet be there as it can be dangerous - but soon realize he in fact is danger.
I try making time pass as slow as possible, hoping someone will come by and the robber flee. This dosen't happen and I'm soon forced to give up what he demands - cash, camera, and my jacket.
Having walked away from the crowd I thought this situation was a risk, and had stashed the majority of my money and credit cards in secret pockets. Fortunately these werent found. My passport was left at Erics so the loss wont make travel more difficult or my plans any different.

Still a very frustration situation, not to mention the loss of unretrievible pictures that were on the memory card. The night and following day are haunted by thoughts of what I could have done differently..
I went to the police the same night, but they proved as useful as any random person on the street. Eyes big looking surprised - and thats all they could offer. When asking if I should fill out a report, I was handed a blank piece of paper, where I could write my contact info and what I'd lost.

Eric call the station when I got home - the polices respons was that it was my "baptism as a gringo"...

I've accepted the loss and ordered a new camera and jacket to be sent to Meghann who is coming down next weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment