Saturday, May 22, 2010

May 18th, 2010

Had bad dreams and a tent that nearly folded from a storm passing through last night. Snow fell again, but it was a comfortable ride back to Jacob Lake - the junction for the lowland. Winds were with me and I was able to have an early lunch before beginning the long downhill ride, spilling into the open country of the classical southwest. The road drops about 2000 ft in a fairly short distance but the place you leave and where you arrive seem worlds apart. Slush falling from the sky on top and an hour later I'm in a shirt and shorts sweating.
The wind was generous - covered 50 miles without noticing and was set on continuing another 50, but the appeal of the landscape had me pull off when I got to the settlement of Cliff Dwellers. Folks here were real friendly and I ended up camping behind a boulder close by. Apparently I wasn't the first, but it seemed to have been a while - the last name engraved into the giant rock was F.W. Fuller May 16 1879 - just over 200 years ago.



No comments:

Post a Comment