Thursday, September 2, 2010

August 20th -2010

Mice had been in my food during the night. A half eaten peach and spread out oat meal as evidence. The local gate keeper asked if I was gonna have another visit to the steam cave - I wasn't planning to but soon found myself spread out on the metal bench, trying to find comfort. The night had been cold.
I returned to Huaraz and dropped my bags at the same hotel I'd stayed at the other day. Took a communal cab up the mountain on the opposite side of the valley. When the cab went no longer I got out, and continued on foot. The locals, eyes wide watched as I walked up the road. Dogs sensed something wasn't right and came barking, showing teeth. Soon I left the village and found an old path leading higher up. A woman passed carrying a large basket on her back.
The air was thin and breathing difficult.
Found a patch of grass hidden. Large pieces of car window glass had been dropped - sliding down into a graveyard of garbage.

I walked back - passing the same wide eyes and bare teeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment