Tuesday, September 28, 2010

September 12th - 2010






Storm.

I left the island of Pio Pio in the early morning - hoping to reach the town of Llica before nightfall. Orientation is impossible out here, so Ive been dependant on my GPS and the peaks in the far distance to guide me.

But I never made it to Llica. Winds began picking up around 2pm. I keept riding for an hour, before the frustration of going 5 km on perfectly flat gound got to me. I figured the winds might die down, and decided to find shadow by and island close by. But the time I reached the shores, winds had picked up and were tossing my bike around, despite the weight og me and bags.

Finding a calm spot on this island proved impossible, as I could choose between direct winds or the turbulance created by the open landscape and this rock in the middle of it. My tent barely made it up in one piece, but finally I managed to get it pitched, and my things inside to keep it down. The winds were coming from all directions. I pilled rocks on all support points and built a small wall, keeping the wind from getting underneath.

I found a small shelter, from a previous stranded. Could keep out of the wind, cook and read till dark when I returned to the tent.

Winds continued all night, sometimes lighter, sometimes stronger. Made some sound recordings for those interrested.

No comments:

Post a Comment