Tuesday, September 28, 2010

September 9th - 2010




It was my plan to return to the wasteland with the guide and shoot portraits of people in the early morning, but when I went a´knocking at 6am there was no anwser. It only came as arelief as I have changed my mind. I rode out by myself and ende up shooting for three hrs by the green water seeping from the dry desert floor.

Left town later then I would have liked, but problem with my bike computer keept me grounded. I finally reached the entrance to the salt flat in the afternoon. You have to use this entrance as the edge around the Salar is soft like mud, and will make is very difficult to access.

Once on the salt I sycronized my map with GPS. I´ve been looking forward to this moment since leaving Oruro a week ago - for riding out on the smooth salt falt - stretching further then the eyes can see. Infinite white nothingness.

I rode 15km out untill setting camp on a random spot, away from the "road" cut but the tourist traffic. Once off the bike the real magic of this place can be appreciated. White melts with the sky and mountains - turing into one. The silence so strong I can hear my own brain and blood flow. Never fully silent.

Difficult to pitch my tent as the ground is rock hard, but I fugure a way of using the cracks in the salt.

Watch the night sky open up.

No comments:

Post a Comment