Tuesday, September 28, 2010

September 10th - 2010





Waking on the Salar is what I would expect from waking on Mars, Venus or the moon.

I collect the torch I left bliking, warning vehicles of my camp.

The way to Isla Inca Huasi, is long on monotone. The island appears in the distance and stays there for hours and hours not getting any closer. Frustrating at times.

I stop at the spot where car accident killing 13 people happende some years ago. I remember reading about this, thinking what the odds were of two cars intersecting eachother in this wide open space - now standing here I think no differet. Its marked with a cross and star.

It was 4pm by the time I reached the island. This is the only island on the salar that has water to buy, and is the main stop of tours crossing the desert. Also the possibility of sleeping here. But I´ve been recomended another island called Pio Pio, about 10 km away. It sould take no longer then 45 min to cross - but fierce winds from the NW make it difficult. I consider setting camp half way between the two islands, but push on. It take close to two hrs to reach the shores of Pio Pio.

Its dark but the time I set up my tent, but winds are shadowed and dont bother me much. Im most frustrated about a curry that I was looking to cook, but which its too late to begin with now. I will spend the full day here tomorrow and have time then.

No comments:

Post a Comment