Wednesday, March 24, 2010

March 19th, 2010

Woke rested on the bench of the shelter. Fearing the turning up of early tourists I rose packed my things that were spread out like I owned the place and acted casual. The ride up last night was epic and seemed to have no end but only more turns. Descending this morning was over before I knew it had begun - 4 min 20 sec - top speed 54 km/h. Joy. Took liberty of the visitor center restroom - chatted to a mexican worker redoing the wall and checked out the surrounding trails before continuing south along the 101. I passed the most alluring part of the coast thus far today - from Cape Perpetua to Heceta Head. Getting lost in thoughts seem to becoming more frequent now - I suppose getting used to the ups and downs does this. I thought of a little piece of ice I took from the North Pole, which is stored in a freezer Copenhagen. I thought of the junk lying in the ditch - lottery tickets and power drinks - beer bottles and video tape tape. And then the sign for the Sea-lion Cape appeared. Overpowered by the child within I pulled over unable to put up a fight knowing it would be a disappointment. And it was. A tourist trap that tricks men, women and children into a deep dark cave to look at sea-lions relaxing through a wire mesh only to go back up and realize they were the same ones they saw earlier today on the beach only that didn't cost $12... But they had nice post cards and I bought one for each of my nephews and nieces.
I'm now at Umpqua light house state park. Plan is to rest here tomorrow. Sound of chainsaw not far away. At this point I'm closer to California then Washington. Progress.




No comments:

Post a Comment