Wednesday, March 24, 2010

March 21st, 2010

The sound of a small drizzle always sounds like a monsoon from inside the tent. Knowing this doesn't make it any easier getting up and getting out to face reality. Reality on this sunday morning was wet. Rain faded as I packed my things and left the site. Further down the road was an area of the dunes reserved for hikers, not allowing motorized vehicles. I went for a short walk on the dunes, wishing the sun was shining and I was 5 years old. The sand dunes are so big and there is so much of them. I'll return one day and maybe bring a 5 year old of my own. North Bend looks big on the map. This is alway exciting. But North Bend isn't. Don't want to sound negative but that must be one of the saddest places in Oregon (having only seen a fraction of this beautiful state). It goes on forever, few smiles and grey road after grey road, eventually crossing a river spilling into the next town. Here they serve tuna sandwiches and dorito chips. I enjoyed both against the wall by the vending machine. Seven Devils Road is the one to follow. Someone has written "don't you just love it?" on the road climbing. At a certain point of this winding hilly road it splits in two - the paved one on the left and the original dirt road on the right. Contemplating this I decide on the dirt, thinking it would be a test before the serious ones down south. All was good going down - but I was close to defeat climbing out again. Dirt and mud makes the tires skid on steep grades. Something that must be addressed.
I stayed at the motel across from Rays Food market in Bandon. Shaved my head while the health care bill was passed on msnbc. Congratulations.




No comments:

Post a Comment